Acis valentina-blooming September 6th. Spain, said to be barely in cultivation. I really like this plant, it's tall stems, and delicate white petals seem rather out of place emerging from a dry pot in the late summer. It so much more looks like spring.
Colchicum byzantinum 'album'-The original species dates back to 1601 when Charles de LeCluse, whose name was latinized to Clusius named it. Said to be of possible hybrid origins between C. autumnale and C. cilicicum.
Colchicum hierosolymitanum Isreali species, quite heavily studied for it's Colchicine content which is used in the pharmecutical industry to treat rhuematism and gout. It's also used by plant breeders to induce polypoidy in plants, whereby the plants treated with colchicine will contain double the number of chromosomes in the embryo, leading to larger, sturdier or more vigorous plants.
Prospero intermedia-Dainty, but a real "looker" up close. Seems to be getting tossed around, formerly Scilla.
Colchicum alpinum-Alpine Saffron, European species. All of these pictures were taken the first week of September 2011. Temperatures in the lower 90's for most of the week. The summer that wouldn't arrive decided to show up when the kiddo has to go back to school.
Popular Posts
-
Fritillaria eastwoodiae I've always loved plants named after Alice Eastwood. My old mentor Jack Poff would tell stories about her, I ...
-
Good Friday finds Trillium Question for you all, So last year I saw this growing in a local woodland park and for some reason ...
-
Illahe Nursery and Gardens My little nursery is located in the South Salem hills at an elevation of about 600'. In following the sage...
-
Anyone?.....Anyone?..... $15 credit toward bulb purchases off this years offering to the first person to guess correctly and enter it int...
-
Fritillaria obliqua Always nice when the flower that started you on a tangent in your life opens up for the season. As promised...F. ...
-
Fritillaria liliacea- wonderful, early Californian, I really do like the native left coast species. Fritillaria hermonis ssp. amana Frit...
-
The fall bloomers are starting. I had a nice talk with the department of agriculture today and I will be proceeding with international sh...
-
"Christians stole Christmas from the Pagans and Capitalism stole it from the Christians" Author Unkown. I love the Winte...
-
Peonia brownii in the front and rocks peony in the background. Patience....because I collected seed of that 8 years ago and its gonna bl...
-
So I had a failure of my blogging app amd while I really liked the program I was using, it has gone kaput with no apparent tech support. So ...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.