![]() |
| Crocus leonidii X 'Early Gold' A wonderful, Hardy, Early and floriferous hybrid of C. angustifolius and C. reticulatus So is this the true start of the growing season? The first Crocus has appeared above ground. I suppose it's safe to call this one a winter bloomer and say it's still not spring yet. But honestly this winter has been a weird one, Phenology is defined by the Mirriam-Webster dictionary as: a branch of science dealing with the relations between climate and periodic biological phenomena (such as bird migration or plant flowering).
So in the interest of providing some sort of phenological data, last year this particular bulb wasn't full open until Feburary 23rd. which is almost a full month away. I've noticed quite a bit of stuff being extra early this year, in fact lot's and lot's of Fritillaria's are in bud with many more breaking ground. So the Flower storm is beginning in earnest now and it doesn't surprise me with how mild this winter has been. My only fear now is that winter doesn't arrive with a vengance in Feburary or March as has happened in Winters past.
So get ready for the flower storm and pray for mild weather.
Today it's a bit rainy and in the 50's.
Cheers,
Mark
|
Popular Posts
-
Fritillaria eastwoodiae I've always loved plants named after Alice Eastwood. My old mentor Jack Poff would tell stories about her, I ...
-
Good Friday finds Trillium Question for you all, So last year I saw this growing in a local woodland park and for some reason ...
-
Illahe Nursery and Gardens My little nursery is located in the South Salem hills at an elevation of about 600'. In following the sage...
-
Anyone?.....Anyone?..... $15 credit toward bulb purchases off this years offering to the first person to guess correctly and enter it int...
-
Fritillaria obliqua Always nice when the flower that started you on a tangent in your life opens up for the season. As promised...F. ...
-
Fritillaria liliacea- wonderful, early Californian, I really do like the native left coast species. Fritillaria hermonis ssp. amana Frit...
-
The fall bloomers are starting. I had a nice talk with the department of agriculture today and I will be proceeding with international sh...
-
"Christians stole Christmas from the Pagans and Capitalism stole it from the Christians" Author Unkown. I love the Winte...
-
Peonia brownii in the front and rocks peony in the background. Patience....because I collected seed of that 8 years ago and its gonna bl...
-
So I had a failure of my blogging app amd while I really liked the program I was using, it has gone kaput with no apparent tech support. So ...
Thursday, January 25, 2018
In the beginning......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.