![]() |
| Camassia cusickii
I have featured this plant before and I think I referenced at the time how it has been maligned in some bulb reference books as coarse leaved and small flowered. I for one am a huge fan, I think it can look stately on it's own, and while the color may be a bit of white-washed pale purple tending towards nothing to write home about, I rather like the upright form.
One of the funner aspects of the plant is who it was named for, William Conklin Cusick, the deaf botanist who explored so much of the wonderful Elkorn, Blue and Wallowa mts in Oregon. The part I like best is how he grew up right smack dab in the country that Illahe now occupies. He lived on kingston praire (now a nature preserve and close to where I used to do some mitigated riparian restoration work). He attended Willamette University in 1864-65, (My sister works for the University that occupies much of downtown Salem). He also lived for a time in Dallas, OR (the drummer in the band I was in in High School lived in Dallas). So many aspects that hit so close to home!
Anyway, I won't do the great man justice with these little snippets, but he also has one of my favorite Monkeyflowers named for him and you can read about it and his life in the great NPSO publication: http://www.npsoregon.org/kalmiopsis/kalmiopsis14/love.pdf
The weather has been spotty, rain mixed with some sun. Supposedly headed for temps in the 80's this weekend.
Cheers and happy friday,
Mark
|
Popular Posts
-
Fritillaria eastwoodiae I've always loved plants named after Alice Eastwood. My old mentor Jack Poff would tell stories about her, I ...
-
Good Friday finds Trillium Question for you all, So last year I saw this growing in a local woodland park and for some reason ...
-
Illahe Nursery and Gardens My little nursery is located in the South Salem hills at an elevation of about 600'. In following the sage...
-
Anyone?.....Anyone?..... $15 credit toward bulb purchases off this years offering to the first person to guess correctly and enter it int...
-
Fritillaria obliqua Always nice when the flower that started you on a tangent in your life opens up for the season. As promised...F. ...
-
Fritillaria liliacea- wonderful, early Californian, I really do like the native left coast species. Fritillaria hermonis ssp. amana Frit...
-
The fall bloomers are starting. I had a nice talk with the department of agriculture today and I will be proceeding with international sh...
-
Peonia brownii in the front and rocks peony in the background. Patience....because I collected seed of that 8 years ago and its gonna bl...
-
"Christians stole Christmas from the Pagans and Capitalism stole it from the Christians" Author Unkown. I love the Winte...
-
So I had a failure of my blogging app amd while I really liked the program I was using, it has gone kaput with no apparent tech support. So ...
Friday, April 29, 2016
The Closest Botanist to Home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.